Crash for cash schemes remain a “real and growing” threat for drivers according to vehicle protection and management technology provider, AX.
Data from industry body, Cifas, shows that motor insurance fraud is one of the fastest growing categories of insurance fraud in the UK.
Last year, the fraud data sharing organisation revealed that fraudulent car collision claims increased 45% year-on-year – well above an average of 27% across all categories of insurance fraud.
While the statistics suggest the problem is getting worse, reflecting the growing willingness of fraudsters to use every technique at their disposal to profit from the motor industry, AX suggests that drivers should educate and protect themselves and their vehicles.
Director of Investigative Services at AX, Neil Thomas, said: “Criminals will do anything to milk the motor industry and drivers, evolving their tactics to keep people guessing and avoid detection. We can’t completely stamp out their activities, but we can collectively do more to curtail what is a real and growing danger to drivers. Recent experience has shown how some criminals have used the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown to plan motor insurance frauds, and they are now intent on cashing in at the expense of innocent motorists.”
With crash for cash schemes – where fraudsters stage non-fault collisions specifically in order to file insurance claims – among the most prevalent types of insurance fraud, AX explains the different tactics which the Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB) says cost the industry around £340 million a year and what can be done to minimise the risk.
THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CRASH-FOR-CASH SCHEMES
Experts, including the ABI (Association of British Insurers) and AX, agree there are three main categories of crash for cash schemes: staged collisions , ghost collisions and induced collisions .
- Staged collisions
Fraudsters intentionally damage vehicles to give the impression that a real crash has occurred. This could involve taking a sledgehammer to a parked car, or even intentionally crashing two vehicles – whatever it takes to fabricate the evidence.
- Ghost collisions
While not strictly a crash for cash scheme, here a fraudster submits a totally fictional claim for a collision that never took place. It is like a staged collision except paper-based, taking advantage of instances where claims are never fully investigated.
- Induced collisions
Finally, the most notorious tactic is the induced collision. This is where the fraudster drives in an erratic or manipulative way near innocent motorists, hoping to engineer crashes that appear legitimate.
The most reported technique used to induce collisions is braking hard while driving in front of another car, causing a rear-end collision. However, experts at AX have highlighted other, more sophisticated techniques:
- Flash for crash: where criminals flash their lights at junctions to let other drivers out, only to crash into them on purpose.
- Hide and crash: where criminals hide in a driver’s blind spot before moving in front and slamming on the brakes
- Crash for ready cash: where the fraudster extorts cash from the driver at the roadside rather than through their insurer
TIPS TO GUARD AGAINST CRASH FOR CASH SCHEMES
What can drivers and fleets do to protect their vehicles from crash for cash schemes? These are AX’s key recommendations for private motorists as well as commercial and dealer fleet managers:
- Learn / teach drivers to recognise the warning signs
To reduce the risk of induced collisions, drivers and fleet managers should learn the warning signs of these schemes.
For example, it is often possible to identify cars used in traditional slam-on collisions because they have rear-end damage from previous scams, or because the fraudsters have intentionally disabled their brake lights to increase the chances of a collision. Also watch out for erratic driving and passengers looking back as they could be waiting to tell the driver when to slam the brakes on.
- Investigate Collisions and claims
When a collision happens, drivers should gather evidence safely at the scene. Note key facts and where possible identify potential witnesses
The phrase Road Traffic Collision (RTC) replaced Road Traffic Accident in Policing some time ago, the logic being very few, if any, collisions happen by accident. A good investigator can nearly always identify the reason, whether that is driver error, mechanical failure or fraudulent activity; it is vital that fleet managers have this evidence at hand quickly to prove fraudulent behaviour from the third party. For individuals and fleets that suspect they may have been the victim of a crash-for-cash scheme, report this to the police at the time and to their own Cheatline service.
Early identification of fraud can save companies significant amounts of money, stop fraudsters committing repeated scams and help authorities bring the criminals to justice.
- Invest in dashcams, vehicle tracking devices and telematics
Finally, the use of technology can be instrumental in helping fraud investigators establish how the collision happened.
Any driver can invest in these technologies, and a fleet manager who suspects they may have been targeted by a staged collision can use telematics data to instantly verify whether the damage happened at the time and location reported by the claimant.
It is important not to assume telematics is a silver bullet, however. While modern vehicle tracking devices collect a vast amount of information, making sense of this data takes time and expertise.
For this reason, individuals and fleet managers hoping to stem the tide of fraudulent motor insurance claims and crash-for-cash scams should ensure they also have specialist vehicle crime investigators on their side.
For more information on motor fraud and AX services, please visit: https://www.ax-uk.com/innovation
Dash Cam WiFi Full HD 1080P Car Dash Camera Recorder, Dashcam for Cars with SD Card, Night Vision, 170° Wide Angle, WDR, Loop Recording, G-sensor, Motion Detection, Parking Monitor
- 【FHD 1080P & 170° Wide Angle View】The dashcams for cars equips a powerful lens, which can record FHD 1080P crystal videos. Peztio car dash cam supports 170° super wide-angle record, capturing multiple lanes real-time HD videos.
- 【Build in Wi-Fi & Videos Real-time Transmission】Built-in 2.4GHz Wi-Fi transmitter, videos and pictures are smoothly transferred between the dash camera and smartphone. You can watch the recording real-time videos on your smartphone or save the videos to your mobile phone album.
- 【Super Night Vision & WDR Tech】The combination of f1.8 aperture and WDR technology enhances the clarity of images. Peztio car camera makes night shots brighter and prevents overexposure under strong light, obtains crystal-clear recording.
- 【Powerful Functions】G-sensor, locks the footage when detects a sudden shake/collision; Loop recording, automatically overwrites the unprotected files; Motion detection, will automatically start recording when detects the movement of objects.
- 【Hidden Design and Worry-Free aftersales】The unique design makes the dash camera stay concealed behind rear-view mirror, thus not blocking the sight and making sure safety driving. Every Peztio customers are fully covered by a one-year warranty. Package content: front camera, car charger, SD card, user manual.
ORSKEY Dash Cam Front and Rear 1080P Full HD Dual Dash Camera In Car Camera Dashboard Camera Dashcam for Cars 170 Wide Angle HDR with 3.0" LCD Display Night Vision Motion Detection and G-sensor
£29.99 in stock
- Front and Rear Dual Recording Dash Cam: Full HD 1920X1080P at 30 fps video front camera with VGA waterproof rear cam. Simultaneously show front and back driving states, provide a safer daily driving environment.
- Superior Night Vision Dash Cam: 6 unique infrared LED fill lights allows the dash cam to perform optimally in low light situations. WDR technology allows for the best night video.
- 170° Wide Angle Dash Cam & 6G Lens : Combined with Sony sensor and 6 glass lens and 170 Degree wide angle lens allows COMS get more clear images. High-performance chipset which enables you to take up to 1080P 30fps full HD videos and 12MP pictures.
- Intelligent Operation: G-sensor activated Emergency Recording automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects the recordings. Loop Recording allows continuous use by writing over old, unneeded footage. Note: Operation requires a micro SD Card (Support up to 32GB Card Not Included)
- Easy Operation & Guarantee: Easily and securely mount to your windshield in seconds with the included suction cup. We also provide 12 months guarantee, with a qualified after-sale service team, 7 days/ 24 hours for serving you.
Nextbase 112 - 720p HD 2.0" G-Sensor Dash Cam Accident Recorder Dashboard Camera
HD 1080P Car Dash Camera Recorder LCD Dual Lens DVR Front And Rear Reverse Cam
GARMIN DriveAssist 51LMT-S EU 5" Sat Nav - Full Europe Map, Dash Cam & Case
Top features:- Stay road aware with a built-in dash camera and driver alerts- Plan ahead thanks to traffic, parking and weather updates- Get hands-free phone notifications so you keep your hands on the wheel- Make the most of map updates to stay in the knowStay road awareThe Garmin DriveAssist 51LMT-S EU 5" Sat Nav has everything you need to drive safely and be more aware of your surroundings.A built-in dash camera with optional in-vehicle audio recording continuously records your drive - which comes in handy for potential insurance claims when you need to provide proof after any incident.An Incident Detection G-sensor automatically saves video footage on impact, and records exactly when an incident has taken place.Plan aheadReal-time live traffic updates, parking, and weather information helps you to plan ahead and beat congestion, or awful driving conditions. The mapping information is constantly updated, so you're always in the know should emergency roadworks take place on your regular route.You also get driver alerts for upcoming sharp curves, speed changes, speed camera alerts and lane assist to guide you on your journey.Get hands-free phone notificationsPair your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to make hands-free phone calls and receive smartphone notifications on the display of your sat nav. And with voice activated navigation, you won't ever have to take your hands off the wheel.Make the most of map updatesLifetime map updates for the UK, Ireland and Europe can be updated quickly and easily over a WiFi network. Just plug in your device at home and have it ready with all the latest information when you hit the road again.What are free Lifetime Maps?Sat nav devices or smartphone apps with free Lifetime Maps allow you to download full updates of your map every year - stay up-to-date with changes to road networks, addresses and points of interest, as well as new businesses, road changes and junction alterations.Updates are released at least four times a year and apply to the map that's pre-installed on your sat nav or included with your smartphone app. Geographical coverage and features will still match the original. Updates are free of charge and provided for the useful life of the device (i.e. as long as the manufacturer supports it with software updates, services, content or accessories).What is free Lifetime Traffic?Lifetime Traffic is a premium real-time traffic information service that shows exactly where delays start and end so you always know the fastest route.'Lifetime' means the period of time that the sat nav manufacturer continues to support your device with software updates, services, content or accessories. The useful life of the smartphone app means the period of time that the manufacturer continues to support the app with updates.Lifetime Traffic is included with this premium sat nav device and cannot be transferred to another sat nav device or smartphone app.________________________________________________Please note: Map updates may require a microSD card